Monday, May 19, 2008

50 is the new 0

Reading USA Today this morning I saw an article about a few schools across the country that want to make 50 the minimum grade any child could receive. Yes, 50 is still a failing grade, but if you average it with other scores, it could make the difference between a F and a D on the report card. Their argument is that it would give a child more incentive to work harder in school.

PUH--LEEZE!

How does this prepare a child to become an adult and live a successful life?

I stayed motivated in school for several reasons:
  • my dad's spankings if I did not (my mom's flyswatter did not quite motivate me as much as daddy. I am not saying he was ever abusive--he wasn't. He just had a way of getting my attention.)
  • being grounded for 6 weeks until the next report card came out, therefore having to spend every free moment with my parents was not my idea of fun--while all my friends were going to movies, dances, and just hanging out,
  • if I did not get good grades I could not go away for college (see #2 above..)

So what am I saying? Looks like my motivation to do well is thanks to my PARENTS, NOT THE SCHOOL SYSTEM. What a concept!

We don't need the schools to eliminate all competition in class. We don't need the schools to motivate our children. We don't need the teachers to pass kids just because they don't want to deal with them another year. We don't need the government more involved in our families!

What we need is for parents to stop buying their kids stuff...who needs more stuff? Now we have to have 4000 sq foot homes, 3 car garages (not for the cars--they sit in the driveway), and 3 storage sheds to hold all our stuff .

We do need parents to spend time with kids helping them with their homework. Talk to the teachers and find out what your kids need to succeed. If your child isn't doing well, don't assume it is the teacher's fault. Look at your child--no, that child is not perfect...! See what is going on in all of your lives. Parents, set a standard and a consequence for not meeting that standard. Then do not give reprieves from the consequences just because your little sweetie looks up with those big innocent eyes and promises to do better next time.

Encourage your kids to study and teach them good study habits. Make it a priority. I am not saying to put so much pressure on your kids that they need tranq's but, rather, to live by my dad's favorite saying to me, "If it is worth doing, it is worth doing well." Push your kids to do their best and learn all they can learn. Don't let them slack off while you do the science project or write the paper for them. Maybe their best is a C and not an A. Ok--but a D or an F is not ever acceptable.

Motivation for acheivement has to be taught and encouraged at home. It is not the school's job.

What is next? If you have 15 students with A's and 15 with C's will we split the difference and give them all B's?

No comments: