Monday, December 7, 2009

Parents Can Help Prepare Kids to Read

One of the things I could have done better as a parent was to set aside time every day for reading. My kids didn't enjoy reading as much as I did when I was a child and I was at a loss as to how to deal with it. Turns out, I did some things right. I know, I am as surprised as you. But I talked to the kids all the time. Don't get too excited--anyone who has a 3 or 4 year old is talking to them all the time. They have discovered communicaiton in a big way and are determined to use it.

But talking to your kids (and thereby increasing their vocabulary) is one of the three tools a parent can use to prepare kids for reading. This is according to my radio show guest last week, Cathy Puett Miller, The Literacy Ambassodor.

Explore books together, says Miller. Play with them, read them, feel them, look at the pictures, make up new stories based on the illustrations.

And have fun together singing rhyming songs, playing listening games, and whatever else you can imagine that has to do with stories and books. Miller has many useful ideas that you can find at http://www.readingisforeveryone.org, as well as in her new book, Anytime Reading Readiness: Fun and Easy Family Activities That Prepare Your Child to Read. She can also be reached at 770-365-4733.

The show can be downloaded from iTunes if you want to hear the wonderful snippets of information from last week. You will find us there under Parents Rule.

Most of all, make time to read and talk about books, poems, and stories to your preschooler. Also let them see you read--they model your behavior. Books are wonderful and according to Miller's mom, "You can go anywhere in a book."

2 comments:

Cathy Puett Miller said...

Thanks, Pat, for including me in a great show. I look forward to hearing from folks in Sandy Springs and all your listeners through your blog or mine!

Beverly Mahone said...

Pat,

I missed the show but this post is great! Every parent should read it. I read to my daughter even before she was born and throughout her early years. Ironically she hates to read now but she knows how to read and carry on an intelligent conversation. I do the same with my 3-yr-old grandson now.

I am a FIRM BELIEVER that is so so critical to communicate effectively with your child--not baby talk but using words to help build your child's vocabulary.

I cringe when I hear some young people speak--splitting verbs and speaking in incomplete sentences. It's because they were never taught and it stays with them for the rest of their lives unless someone takes a personal interest in them and works to help correct it.

Sorry to be so long-winded on this but as you can see this is a topic I am really passionate about.