Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Change Is Good

I am one of those people who resist change, then finally decide that I have to do it and charge ahead. For a while now I have been thinking of puttng Parents Rule! radio show into hiatus. But, as I said, creating new routine is not my favorite thing. True to my nature, I am also going to change this blog by bringing in more guest bloggers. In that way, you can still have the benefit of people who would have been guests on the show.

Why am I doing this? Recently some things happened in my life that put the show in a new perspective and I realized that now is not the right time for me to be doing it. It is always possible that I will bring it back, slightly changed, but still a great resource for parents. But right now, I have some other priorities that must take my attention. The radio station gave me a wonderful opportunity and I am forever grateful. But it is also time to part ways there.

So my last show is this week and I have bittersweet feelings about that. It is best to never look back. We should keep looking forward, carrying the lessons from the past, but focusing on the path we are walking today. Using a quote from my book, Now You Know What I Know: Parenting Wisdom of a Grandmother:

Don’t regret the past. Its experiences make you who you are today. Don’t live in the past with remorse, guilt, or shame. Learn from it and move on. Living in the past will hamper your growth and future happiness.

The future is what dreams are made of and should be anticipated eagerly. But don’t live for the future either. While your eyes are focused too far ahead, you miss the beauty and opportunity around you. It is also easy to stumble if you are looking forward or backward.

Live for the present, live in the present. Learn from the past and hope for the future but cherish each day in the present with which you are blessed. Experience each moment and enjoy each day. Fill your heart with joy and look at the wonderful things around you. You are blessed and can find a miracle in each day if you look for it. All you have to do is look in your child’s face to see a miracle when you need one.

No comments: