Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hasta Mas Tarde, Padre

Today my newest grandson is 4 weeks old. Yesterday my son, the new dad, left to go back to Panama and his job. He left his wife and son here because she cannot travel for a while yet. I rode to the airport with her in case she needed to tend to the baby on the way home.

It broke my heart to hear him tell his son good by and to take care of his mom. I looked away and teared up while he and Jaime said their emotional good by. They are so close and need each other so. It is hard to see them separated.

I remember when my Michael was born, he was a little jaundiced and had to stay in the hospital for a few days under the bili light. It was so hard to go home to his room and have no baby to put in the crib. I am sure Aaron felt the same way when he arrived in their apartment last night. Even the dog was not there--he had to pick him up today.

What I can say to them is that they are very blessed. Time passes quickly. Jaime is surrounded with friends and family. We will do all we can to keep her distracted and busy. It is certain, due to his job, that Aaron will spend some long hours catching up on work responsibilites. Especially since he was here for a month.

Oh yes, that is what I said. He was able to take Family Leave and spend a month with his wife and infant. And he made the most of it, spending the whole time with the two of them. Some men would have gone out with friends and not spent almost every waking moment with his family. Instead he used the time to help Jaime and get to know that wonderful miracle that was given to them. What a blessing that was for all of them. So few fathers get that bonding time immediately after birth.

Their love is a blessing also. I have a picture in my head of two very old people sitting on a porch watching all their grandchildren and great-grandchildren playing in the yard while the couple reflects on their life together. So few people are together from childhood through old age. These two will, I know. It is that kind of love.. and that kind of love will survive any separation they may have.

At Christmas, he will come back here, and then take them back to their home in Panama where they will start their real lives as a small family. I see only the best in the future for them.

3 comments:

AdornmentsbyMilani.com said...

What a touching post. At least the baby and the mom will have you closeby. You sound like a dear:)

Parents Rule! said...

Thank you--they are wonderful and I am so blessed with a great family!

Unknown said...

This post pulled on my heart strings! Our son in law is due home from Iraq in mid December and will be whisking our daughter and two grand children to where he is going to be stationed. We are thrilled that they will be able to start their family together. He has only seen the baby the week she was born and that was 7 months ago. Wow, I am going to miss them so much!