Sunday, November 30, 2008

Share Your Wisdom With Your Children

When I wrote my book, Now You Know What I Know: Parenting Wisdom of a Grandmother, my goal was to tell my kids what I did wrong and what I did right as a parent. They will make their own parenting mistakes, but I saw no need for them to repeat mine.

As I was writing, I would try to remember an event or a saying that I wanted to share with them. Sometimes it took me weeks to find or recall it. Sometimes I never did. Many times I wished I had written more down.

Now What Do You Know: A Wisdom Guide Written By You for YOUR Children is a natural companion book to mine. It is small enough to fit in a purse or diaper bag or bedside stand. It is spiral bound which makes it easy to write it. It can be found at http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZnewQ20parentQ20giftsQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ
or at my website: http://www.parentsrulewithpat.com.

To use it, write down:
  • Bits of wisdom you have collected. If you have been inspired by something, write it in the book. If you had a great idea for a new family tradition that is catching on, capture the idea and how you came up with it.
  • Record wise and profound sayings from other people that you would want to share with your child one day.
  • As you learn more about parenting, you will find that there were situations you could have handled more effectively. Chronicle those--record the instance, what you did, how you would change your reaction. This will be very useful to your children as they are raising your grandchildren.
  • Keep details of how you felt the first time you saw him--how he looked to you, what you were thinking, and such.
  • Secure special art work created by your child into the book: drawings, poems, etc.
  • Write poems or draw your own pictures to pass on.
  • Log your feelings about her first day a school, graduation, leaving for college, getting married, and so on.

The uses are limitless and the benefits to you and your child are boundless. So many good things have come from my book between my chldren and I. It is my wish that all of you have the same opportunity.

No comments: