Sunday, December 7, 2008

Socially Networking Teachers

I just read a post by my friend, Bev Mahone regarding teachers and social networking sites. http://babyboomerbev.blogspot.com/2008/12/your-teacher-hates-your-child.html

It offers insight to a problem few people know exists. Do I think teachers should be able to have MySpace and Facebook sites? Sure I do. They are human and want to keep up with their friends and family. I love having my kids on MySpace and now some of the grandkids on. I can keep up with photos, what is happening in their lives, and vice versa. It is a great tool.

Like any tool, it needs to be used correctly. My parents always taught me that my rights to say and do things end when they intrude on someone else's. Any teacher stupid enough to say on a networking site that she hates her students should expect reactions, just as if she had said it in the classroom. Any teacher who has students as friends and posts revealing photos of herself should also expect to hear about it.

One of my favorite sayings is that "common sense ain't so common." But, hey people, buy some sense and be careful what you put in print!

4 comments:

Bev Mahone said...

"common sense ain't so common."

I love that! Too bad more folks don't understand what that really means :)

I think one of the problems with teachers being on Facebook is not recognizing that they are EXPOSED to the world so what they say can and will be used against them if it's perceived to be in bad taste.

Unknown said...

Glad I found your site! I second the love from your phrase "common sense ain't so common!" Priceless! You should consider marketing that one! :)

Anonymous said...

I think your comments are right on!
I came from a family of teachers and have many friends who are either teachers or school principals. Because that position is a public one and serves the needs of children, they have to be aware of things they say and do in their private lives. Whether or not they like it, it's part of the entire package of that particular career.
Also, I echo the thoughts of your two previous comments. Love your common sense quote!

Parents Rule! said...

I know...every one wants the freedom to do whatever they want, but that is not a reality based desire. Everyone has rules they need to follow to some extent.