Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Caroling is Not Out of Date

One of "my kids" (which refers to a large number of my kids' friends that I claim but don't have to pay for their weddings or bail them out of jail) sent me this one. She is a terrific mom to an adorable, very busy little guy named Brooks.

I thought caroling was a thing of the past: I am so glad to see it has not gone completely away. Of course the immediate question that comes to mind is "how much moonshine is involved?"

Maybe I can talk my kids into it--of course in their in-laws' neighborhoods instead of mine.

Cat wrote:
All 21 of us go to NC to Winston Salem just like the Grizzwalds. RV and all. Christmas Eve we get all bundled up and go carol around my aunts neighborhood (not one of us can carry a tune and we forget half the words).
After embarrassing my aunt pretty good we come in and warm up and watch old Christmas family videos and talk about them all.
Then the kids open a gift.
Suddenly Santa (usually the new guy of the family) appears and tells the kids merry Christmas and to go to bed...
Then the neighbors hear the commotion and come out with their kids and Santa is busy for a bit. Usually gets attacked or chased by a small dog too:)
Then we wake up Christmas morning to all the Santa gifts and the real fun begins.
Brooks and I also make all our gifts and do arts and crafts to make it REAL special from the heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tradition and a great way to build on cherished family memories. I think little Brooks is going to remember these times forever and so will his mom.
A Merry Christmas to one and all!