Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Looking for Dead People at Christmas?

Continuing in the theme of Christmas traditions, I want to share these with you today. The first one is from my friend, author and, singer Norma Stanley.

This is a tradition I have never associated with this season, but it makes sense. Aftrer having sent this to me, she has decided to re-institute this in her home.

For that I am grateful. This is one of those traditions handed down throughout generations in families and should not be lost. The sentiment is warm and wonderful and is part of her heritage.

The second one is from author, Debra Shiveley Welch. It is at once cost effective and keeps the Spirit of Christmas alive in their hearts.

from Norma:
Here's a Christmas tradition that I grew up with...I haven't been following it with my own family, but my mom still does. My family is from the Caribbean and every Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, my mother and grandmother would set the kitchen table with our good china, food (wine, brandy, cheese, bread and other good things that only people from the Caribbean would recognize). The food would be laid out late at night just before everyone went to bed.

When I asked why they did that, they said it was for those beloved family members who had passed (I'm assuming they were angels--although my mom called them the "good dead"), who were watching over us, so they could have a holiday dinner also. It used to freak me out as a kid because I always thought that if I came downstairs in the middle of the night to get a drink or something, I would see ghosts sitting at the kitchen table eating! (Laugh)..What also used to freak me out, was my oldest sister would eat the food in the morning!


from Debra:
Pat, the main tradition I can think of is that Mark, Chris and I give each other three gifts. That's it. Why? Because Jesus received three gifts on the first Christmas. So, Mark, for instance, gets one from me, one from Chris and one from me and Chris together.

No comments: