Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Australia Is on My Butt



While on my Panama trip to visit Logan and What's Their Names I decided I wanted to go on an adventure trip with my son, Logan's Dad. No, that is not him in the photo. That is a howler monkey that almost made me wet my pants (if I hadn't been so dehydrated) when he screeched, or growled right above me. They sound a lot like a lion to me. Anyway we planned a mountain biking trip through the rainforest with Panama Pete (www.panamapeteadventures.com), who is terrific, by the way, and I really recommend him.

My other son, Michael (who still has a name because he is not yet a dad), said before I went that I should do any of the trips except the biking one. "You know you always fall off, Mom." I chose to ignore his negativity and have a great time on the 14K bike excursion. And I was doing really well for being 57 and not having been on a bike in a couple of years. That is Patspeak for the guys had to keep waiting for me, but I was not walking the bike.

We were crossing a bridge when I decided I needed to walk instead of ride across and as I put my foot down...I am not sure what happened next. All I know is I was sandwiched between the bridge and my bike. It all happened in slow motion but there was nothing I could do to prevent it--you know that feeling? Naturally the first thing I did was curse Michael because obviously it was due to his negativity that I was in that position. Then I started laughing. The guys came back for me, thank goodness. Panama Pete asked if I was okay and in the same breath asked if the bike was okay. I assured him that I protected it with my body so it was fine; for which he was extremely grateful.

The first thing I noticed the next day was the enormous bruise on my butt that looked just like a map of Australia. And it is practically actual size! I thought about doing something with it on E-bay but could not quite figure out what, so I let it go.

Of course the first thing smarty Michael asked was if I fell. I started to give him this story about trying to protect myself from giant tsetse flies who were protected by the Guacamole Act, but I don't think he saw the original movie, The In Laws. (By the way, if you haven't seen it with Peter Falk do yourself a favor and see it...) So I explained that since I was almost stopped at the time, it did not really qualify as a fall.

All in all, the trip was great. We saw toucans, leaf cutter ants, Coati, blue morpho butterfly, howler monkeys, and a lizard that I think is some kind of iguana. Pete pointed out tarantula holes in a bank, but when I asked him to prove it was really tarantula holes by pulling one out, he declined. I wonder...! The plants were beautiful and we had a great time.

Of course, I had the bruises the next day but I could walk without too much ibuprophen. So it was a successful trip, one I would encourage anyone to take--especially when you get a chance to spend a whole day by yourself with your married son.

6 comments:

Debbie Stevens said...

Absolutely LOVED this post, thanks Pat!
You are quite adventurous,and believe the bruise, your branding lol

Next trip, AUSTRALIA!! Just let me know mate, I'll be waiting :)

Beverly Mahone said...

Mountain biking? Pat, you are the the adventurous Diva of the group! When Nate and I went to St. Lucia we had the option of touring the countryside on bikes or in a taxi. I'm sure you know which one I chose :)

My husband went to Panama on business back in the 80s. The only thing he really remembered was the black sand beach? Did you see it? He also said Panama has come a long way since he was there--thanks to our Government.

Kathie M. Thomas said...

Perhaps it's a sign that you're coming to Australia! Yippee, Debbie and I can't wait to see you!

My husband is a mountain biker, very experienced and still has his fair share of falls.

Pam Archer said...

Oh dear Pat! You described your trip through the forest so well, that I feel I have already been there. Even though the bridge ended up being built too close to your butt, I admire you for hopping on that bike and not backing down to the sarcasm. Go DIVA Sister!

Heidi Caswell said...

Pat, loved your story! Thanks for sharing. Building memories, your family will be talking about that adventure for some time. Fun, fun.

Melodieann Whiteley said...

Dear adventurous Pat! Biking through the jungles of Panama! Sounds like you had a great time. I haven't been on a bike in years, so I think I'll skip this trip and just enjoy it vicariously through you!