Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Baby Beach Bum


Doesn't this picture just beg for a blog? Logan is so relaxed--not asleep, but chillin' and enjoying being wheeled around. Life is great for him. His every need is being cared for by loving parents, and occasionally, by doting grandparents and aunts and uncles.
I started to think about the times in my life when I have been this relaxed. What about you? What relaxes you?
For me, laying on the beach on a perfect day--not too hot, not too cold--a breeze blowing, the sound of sea gulls and kids laughing and playng (not mine so I don't have to care what they are doing) in the distance, the sound of the surf lapping at the shore. That will do it for me.
Sometimes I can get like that with meditation, but not always. And usually when I am picturing myself at the beach (see above paragraph).
I have felt like that sitting around with friends laughing and talking nonsense--camping, at home, at an outing. Just forgetting the problems of the world for a short period of time and living in the moment. Jimmy Buffett has a song called I Love the Now which describes being in the moment--not worried about the past or the future. We should all try to do that more often.
Sitting on a rock by a mountain stream hypnotized by the flow of the current and the quiet sounds of the forest around me. The cool air and the woodsy smells add to the charm.
So what makes you this peaceful? Another of my grandsons, Benton, was being pushed in a stroller and was also loving it. I told him it was his turn to push me and he looked shocked and that he couldn't do that. I said that he could because he was now 3 and a big boy. He thought for a minute and then told me, "Mema, I am still a little big boy." He wins.

4 comments:

Beverly Mahone said...

Pat,

My best quiet times are right after I read a scripture in the Bible and begin meditating. It gives me a sense of peace & calm and makes me feel spiritually connected.

This may sound weird but another time when I am really relaxed is when Nate and I are enjoying a sports game together. There's a lot of excitement going on but it's also very relaxing.

That Logan is sooooo adorable!

Eileen Williams said...

That photo does beg for a blog post--what a cutie-pie!
I'm not sure how relaxed I'd be with such an adorable little grandson to wheel around--he'd be grabbing attention left and right and I'd be smiling from ear to ear!

Pam Archer said...

Relaxing by the beach does it for me, too. Last year, after the Baby Boomer Girlfriend's Retreat had concluded, I went out to lay on the beach. I had been so keyed up all weekend, that I needed to rest and unwind. I went to sleep and woke up hours later, burnt to a crisp. It was worth it, though.

I also love the Chimneys Picnic area is the Great Smoky Mtns. I can sit on a boulder in the river and relax there forever.

Parents Rule! said...

Pam, I love to climb the Chimneys and sit on the rocks up there and look down on the world. So peaceful. And the little squirrels will eat right out of your hand.