Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Didn't Learn THAT in Spanish Class...



I spent last week in Panama City, Panama visiting my grandson, Logan and his parents, What's Their Names. Oh, please, one of the first things you learn as a parent is that you are now Logan's Dad or Logan's Mom for the next 18-23 years. (Sorry, kids, you know I love you, but truth is truth.)

It never ceases to amaze me that I can remember the names of all eleven grandchildren. You would have thought that by now I would be calling them 7 or 11 or hey you. However, I soon realized that it is easier to remember their names than their birth orders.

Back to Panama and the reason for this blog. Last Thursday we decided to do a short hike in El Parque Metropolitano. As the name suggests, it is very near the city. There is actually an overlook with a great view of the city on the trail through the jungle.

All was well when a woman and her kids passed us going up as we were coming back down. My son and daughter-in-law (What's Their Names) spent a couple of minutes chatting in Spanish with her and I smiled confidently from behind them. As she moved on she smiled at me and said "Bueno," which is Panamanian for "Howdy, yall." I repeated the greeting, then (to show off my Spanish skills) added, "Muy caliente hoy." At that she stopped smiling, gathered her children closer to her and rushed away.

My son, as soon as he could get his breath from laughing so hard, asked if I knew what I had said. "Of course--I said it was very warm today," I replied defensively. Again they burst into laughter. Finally they settled down long enough to tell me that I should have said "Hace calor." And then told me that I had told her I was horny. Again with the laughter... He went on to tell me it would have been worse if I had said, "Estoy caliente." To me that woud have meant the I was hot, but in that part of the world, it is an invitation that I certainly would not have intended.

Suddenly I remembered last year in Mexico and started laughing myself. Now I know why that resort gardener, who was about 18, looked so shocked when I spoke to him one very warm day.

They just don't teach this stuff in high school Spanish. So, if you are going to Latin America, forewarned is forearmed!

8 comments:

Betty Lynch said...

How funny! Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Karen O'Bannon said...

That is hilarious. I've always wanted to learn Spanish. I can see myself making that very same kind of mistake.

Heidi Caswell said...

:) They really should teach such stuff in Spanish class.

That would make a great book, what not to say when visiting other clases.

Karlyn said...

LOL... love it!

Pam Archer said...

Funny story, Pat. I embarass myself enought in English that I don't attmpt to speak another language. LOL

Eileen Williams said...

Your story left me rolling around with laughter! I speak some German and have a long list of similar scenarios. It's hard enough to try and communicate in another language let alone worry that you might be coming on to others in a totally unintended way.
Thanks for the forewarning--I don't know much Spanish but I"ll remember this one!

Beverly Mahone said...

I took four years of Spanish and I don't ever remember "Hace calor" When I read "Muy caliente..." I got it right away. Maybe that's a Panamanian translation--just like the things we say here in America are translated differently in other parts of the world. I learned that lesson the hard way with our dear friend Kathie Thomas.

Parents Rule! said...

Bev, good point. Even what we think is English can fool us as we learned about the word Root--ha, ha.