Thursday, January 8, 2009

Calls for a new breed of parent

On Neal's Nuze on Tuesday http://boortz.com/nealz_nuze/2009/01/we-need-a-new-breed-of-parent.html Neal Boortz, radio talk show host, called for a new breed of parent. I believe what we need is an old breed of parent. A return to the days when parents made kids mind their manners, treat other adults with respect, and did not subject other people to unruliness is what I am looking for.

http://boortz.com/blogging/mt-tb.cgi/16891

Parents have become so permissive and, as a result, submissive to their children over the last few years. Children are allowed to pick vacation sites, have any electronic appliance they want, have a brand new sports car when turning 16, and they are allowed to annoy everyone in a store or restaurant with their poor behavior. I have seen my daughter in law spit on by a child in a restaurant and the offender faced no consequences from the parent!

I have left stores with a headache from listening to someone's child screaming for what seems like hours. Many times I just leave the store without buying anything--just to get away from the misbehaving kid. Stores should confront a parent that is allowing that to continue and ask them to leave.

But I also do not believe it is the store's responsibility. It is the parent's. Parents should leave public places until they can control their child's behavior. For example, as a parent of 3 small children, I found it very difficult to make them all behave and not bother other people. My answer? I did not go out to eat with the kids for several years. I am sure many people appreciated it.

I hear you saying that just because you have children, why should your live change? Duh...children change your life. Sometimes it is good changes and sometimes it is the opposite. Get used to it. You can't do everything you did before the little munchkins arrived.

When did children become more powerful than their parents? Why is this behavior tolerated? Is it because government tries to tie parents hands so much? Is it because parents want to be their child's BFF? Is it because it is easier to be so permissive? Is it because moms and dads are so busy working that they get so little time with their kids and don't want to be "mean" to them?

I think all these come into play. Someday these parents will wake up and realize that they have done their offspring no favors. Many children today are being raised to believe they are the center of the universe, they don't have to work for anything, and they will always be taken care of.

My husband's grandfather, who loved him dearly, once told him if he ever needed a helping hand to look at the end of his arm. Where are the parents like this wonderful man--the old breed of parent?

No comments: