Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Grandma Duty is Exhausting, but Great

Ok.. I am now rested up after my 8 days taking care of the two grandkids--ages 3 and almost 2. They survived us but were very glad to see their mom and dad come home. We just drug ourselves home and slept for two days. Well, not that long, but I was asleep in bed at 6:30 that night!


My highlights include: not being late dropping the 3 yr old off or picking him up for "school"; getting soundly beaten by a 3 yr old in Wii tennis; going to the park twice and having a great time--no one got hurt (I was worried about me) and no one got lost (worried about my husband); remembered how many things there are to "God Bless" when a child does not want to go to bed; and making a million memories with the two boys that I will never forget.


The almost 2 yr old vegetarian has the most wonderful smile that he showers on you when he sees you. It just makes you feel like you have made his day because you walked into the room. His little spontaneous hugs are always completely unexpected and given from the heart. He reminds me of what unconditional love is all about.


The 3 yr old meat eater is a talker. He reminds me of my son Michael (his uncle) in so many ways and that is one of them. He doesn't cry much but can throw a major temper tantrum when he wants to. He is so cute trying to exert his independence and wants some control over his environment. We quickly learned to give him choices and life was more peaceful. His creative mind kept us in stitches much of the time with what amazing ideas came to him.


It was a wonderful week that we will treasure. But we were tired. I don't remember how I did it with 3 stairsteps. It is obvious to us that it is a good thing that young adults have kids.


My prayer now is that our kids don't get the idea of dropping all 12 grandchildren off for a week at the same time!

No comments: