Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Yea, Obama!

As most of you know, I did not vote for President Obama--we have many philosophical differences in how to get out of the recession and other stuff. But something he said last night during his address to Congress made me want to stand up and cheer.

When he was talking about education, the President said something that we don't hear anymore. It was a common theme when I was growing up. By the time my kids were going to school, things were different. It was discussed in hushed tones by small discreet groups and in a few homes. But most people did not believe it or want it to be the truth. Why? Because it is hard sometimes. And, frankly, I did not think there was a politician from either party that beleived it.

What was this very controversial thing he said?

He said that education begins in the home. And that is not all! He had the gall to say that parents should turn off the TV and the computer and read to their children or help them with their homework. I am sure most people simply chose to ignore what he said or stare at him on the TV set with disbelieving eyes and ears. Many people this morning are probably wondering if he is completle deranged by the rigors of the Presidency already.

But, I say, "you go, Mr. President!" It is about time we get back to thinking that our children's education is our responsibility--not the government's! It is the parents' responsibility to guide a child's education, to teach them the basics of numbers and alphabet and colors. It is a parent's job to see that the child gets to school and does their homework. It is the parent's responsibility to make sure no one (even the parent) does the work for the child.

It is about time we bring this out of the proverbial closet. Let's talk about it out loud and at PTSA meetings. Way to go, Obama. You certainly got this right!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one Pat and I did give him a standing ovation all alone in my home.

How dare a parent think a computer or television can replace quality time reading with their child? How dare a parent think children can learn the same things from a computer or television as they can learn from a motivating parent?

President Obama is a great example of what it means to be a good parent. You can see it in his own girls.

Anonymous said...

I, too, agree that parents need to take back their educational role. I have been singing that song for a while now. In fact, I talk about it in my book and spoke of it in my blog just last week.

But this is not the first time the president has said those words. He said it in him campaign speech and again in his presidential acceptance speech. I, frankly, believe this is something he intends to keep saying, especially as we continue to work on improving our educational system.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! I agree wholeheartedly that education needs to begin at home. The human brain grows fastest during the first few years of life and parents can go a long way to helping their children become successful in adulthood by spending time with them when they're young.
It's also a very simple and loving thing to cuddle together and read a book to a child. They're little for such a short time, why not make the most of it?

Anonymous said...

nice blog
Visit my blog as well and ur comments will be appreciated
http://www.parenting-wikipedia.blogspot.com
http://www.earlyhood.blogspot.com