Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Everybody dance now...!


If you have ever had a family vacation at Hilton Head Island, SC, I hope you spent an evening under the stars listening to and singing along with Dave Kemmerly and his guitar on the deck at The Salty Dog in Sea Pines.
Monty and I love to sit back, have a beverage of choice and listen to Dave play fun songs and interact with the audience. Kids of all ages get up and "dance to the music." This year we were blessed to share this with grandsons who really enjoyed the dancing and singing and eating ice cream on the deck.
Parents can relax and watch kids run around and meet new friends to dance with. Everyone shares the job of watching out for the kids and they never get out of sight. The kids enjoy dancing with mom and dad, swirling in circles, twirling around a pole, and doing all sorts of creative dance moves that I don't think Broadway has seen before.
Sometimes we are treated to a song by some of the youngsters. It is something you will never forget as Dave shares his mike with kids who have such great songs as Happy Birthday, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and a variety of Hanna Montana vocalizations. They have such a great time, sometimes he has a little trouble getting the microphone back from their ice-cream-sticky fingers.
This is a time and place I can feel completely at peace and just feel the stressors of life lift off as I join the rest of the crowd in sing-alongs and laugh while watching the antics of the kids.
Has anyone out there been to hear Dave? Do you have a Salty Dog T-shirt? If not, and you ever get a chance, don't let it pass you by. It will be an evening you will want to repeat over and over. I know we do.
You can find out more about Dave at www.facebook.com/davekemmerly. Tell him you heard about him from me. I don't get anything out of it, just thought I would share one of the great memory making places in the USA.
I know you all think I never work, but I do. However, I want to have balance and so I play every chance I get and want to encourage you to do the same. In the words of a great country song, "I Hope You Dance."

9 comments:

Debbie Stevens said...

What a great place for the family?! LOVED the whole concept, dancing, eating ice-cream, and all while being outdoors, under the stars! Sounds like the perfect setting for mum's & dad's, grandparents & kids alike! Thanks for sharing, sounds wonderful :)

Beverly Mahone said...

Hilton Head is a little too rich for my blood so I will enjoy the trip vicariously throu you. I did try to click on the Dave Kennnedy facebook page, but received an error "page not found" so you might want to re-check it. He sounds like quite a performer--and yes, I agree--everyone should take a moment or two to just DANCE!

Pam Archer said...

Pat, I am enjoying traveling with you this summer! I haven't been to Salty Dogs, but if it is the place I'm thinking of, it is along the waterfront where we would pass (by boat) on our way to Daufuskie Island. Is this correct?

I am missing the ocean and vacation this year. It does indeed relieve stressors.

Glad to hear you are having such a great time.

Eileen Williams said...

Sounds like a great antidote to everyday stress--in other words, the PERFECT vacation. I love the idea of singing, dancing, eating a special treat and being with your loved ones. How could life get any better than that?!

Heidi Caswell said...

Fun indeed! lots to do, beats having family stay home and become TV zoombies.

Anonymous said...

Work? What's that? Remember if you passionately enjoy what you do for a living you will never "work" a day in your life.

You are a great role model for all of us. Keep on sharing!

BTW, I have not been to Hilton Head in years so cannot wait to renew that experience. It is truly amazing.

Have a great summer!

Heidi Richards Mooney, Publisher
WE Magazine for Women
http://www.WEMagazineForWomen.com

Parents Rule! said...

One other thing I love about Hilton Head is that is doesn't change that much. So it is probably as you remember it, Heidi.
And, yes Pam, it would be the place you see on your way to Daufuskie.

rosie said...

I agree with Debbie this is a great place for the family. And what an entertainer Dave Kennedy must be.
Anyone that caters to the entire audience is a great.
Keep taking lots of pictures it makes great blog food. Ha!
Enjoy your trips.

David Kemmerly said...

I'm not stealing your identity am I? How many David Kemmerly's are there? Well, more than one I guess.