Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Loss of a First Love

Today we learned that Ted Kennedy died and the press is busy cannonizing him as they do famous (or infamous) people as soon as they are gone. Frankly, I think he had a great life for someone who, if he were you or I, would have spend the rest of his life in prison (or at least a good part of it) after the death of Mary Jo Kopeckne. Interesting that he died so near to the 40th anninversary of her death.

Did he do good in his life of public service? I suppose he did, but that did not bring back the daughter to her parents. So his death, while I sympathize with those who loved him, leaves me void of emotion. But that is just me and I really don't idolize the famous.

However, I recently found out that my first unrequited love died many years ago as a young man. This guy was gorgeous, had a great body, and was wonderfully kind. He was in the "in crowd" but always had time to say hi or have a conversation with others. As an athlete, he excelled, especially in wrestling. And, it is my suspicion that many of the girls in my class also had a crush on Wally.

One night during college, I ran into him at a dance. It surprised me because he went to a different school, but he was visiting some friends for the weekend. At the time, I was in love with a guy that went to college in another state, so my high school crush was over, but it was so good to see him. (Remember, just looking at him was worth the time.) We talked all evening and danced a few dances; generally having a great time. As he walked me back to the dorm, I broke down and confessed my earlier feelings to him.

To my chagrin, he grinned at me and said, "I know." Flustered, I mumbled something about the fact that I never told any of my friends and couldn't understand how he knew. He said he could tell by my looks and actions. To which I replied about how grateful I was that he never let on that he knew--I would have been mortified! We had a good laugh about it and he told me that he was honored that I had felt that way about him. He said that with his school work and sports he just didn't have much time, or money, for girls--he had other priorities. And, looking back, I don't remember him having a steady girlfriend.

We parted as friends--no kiss, not even any hand holding (well there was a very nice hug)--and shared a few wonderful hours together. A few weeks ago, I reconnected with a high school girl friend (don't ya love Facebook?) and I asked her about Wally along with some others. She quickly said, "The guy you had such a crush on?" God, did everybody know?

Then she told the bad news--he had died. He was doing some kind of mission work, helping people he did not know, and got sick. Sadly, he didn't recover.

My heart broke when she told me. I always thought he was meant for great things. In his too-short life, he touched many people in a very positive way. I don't know of anyone this gentle soul ever hurt. Today, my mind is on Wally and why no one talked about his life on TV all day when he died.

RIP Wally Morrell! Part of me will always have that teenage crush on you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Pat, everybody knew. Your eyes always told the whole story!

Eileen Williams said...

I'm so sorry to learn of your loss. My high school boyfriend died, too, and it was a great shock and sadness to learn of his passing.
First loves hold such a special place in our hearts and, when we learn they're gone, it's a pain that lingers.

Beverly Mahone said...

I remember how madly in love I was with my first boyfriend at 16. I don't think he ever got his life totally together over the years from things I heard from friends. His sister and I connected on Facebook a few months ago. I'll have to ask her how he's doing.

Pam Archer said...

Love lingers, and you had a special connection with Wally. YOu shoul put him away as a treasure in your heart, because he will never leave you.

Debbie Barth said...

I met my "first love" when I was 14. His family and my family became close and our friendship developed into something more, much to the horror of our parents. (Let's just leave it at that). He was 3 years older than me and really should have been dating girls more his age. That was probably the charm the relationship. It was driving our parents crazy. Long story short, he broke my heart (at least I thought at the time) by marrying someone else. I heard that the first 2 yrs were very rough on his wife. He started drinking and doing pills (not sure what kind), running around, and abused her physically. We ran into each other at a party one night (he was still married) and he pulled me aside to let me know how much he "missed me" and how sorry he was that we had drifted apart" I simply told him not to be sorry, and let him know that he had actually done me a tremendous favor. I wonder how long he stared at me as I walked away. I think, often times, "first loves" can become "What the heck was I thinking?!"

Debra Stokes said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Pat. Like others who have commented, I agree that "first love" holds a special place in us - whether good or bad. Even in your lack of emotion for the death of Ted Kennedy, you might consider that he,too, was as much a human being as Wally and the rest of us. In spite of the public nature of his life, he likely had and was, a first love, too.