Tuesday, August 18, 2009

You Can Call Me Liz...

Hey, world I am back. I have been off the radar for a few weeks, but now I am raring to go--can hardly go for raring. (What does that mean anyway?) To celebrate, I am going to tell you something that happened to me on my recent vacation. It has nothing to do with parenting, although the real Liz is expecting. Does that count?

I have a new alias, which I will be using in bars, in resorts in Jamaica, and in Vegas from now on. If you see someone who looks just like me in any of those places, she will only answer to LIZ.

Okay, so you want the back story?

We were recently on vaca at great resort in Jamaica and having dinner in the fancy-dancy French restaurant on property. We were dressed up and looking good and drinking a few glasses of bubbly when it happened. The wait staff came out singing Happy Birthday to Liz and set the cake, which also said Happy Birthday Liz, right in front of me. Standing there waiting for me to blow out the candles, they couldn't figure out the confused look on my face. Finally I stammered to them that I was not Liz. They looked at my sister in law expectantly and she informed them that her name was Karen.

To be fair, we were warned. When we walked in, the waiter said something to my husband about us celebrating a birthday and Monty told him we weren't. Now I understand the wink he got--it wasn't that he thought Monty was cute; this guy thought Monty was trying not to spoil the surprise.

We were hysterical laughing after they took the cake with the new candle wax topping away. The two tables near us were full of people looking perplexed or laughing. Eventually I said that maybe we should have just eaten the cake. At that, the people to my right started laughing all over again and I heard the word Liz mentioned.

Sure enough, Liz was at the table next to me and expressed her gratitude that I did not, in fact, eat her cake. With that, we laughed until tears ran down our cheeks--all eight of us.

So, I have now adopted and embraced my alias. Use it with caution.

8 comments:

Beverly Mahone said...

Liz,

You have been quite the worldly travel of late. What I wouldn't do to just have one-half of the trips you've written about. Nate and I haven't had the luxury of taking a vacation so far this year but we definitely look forward to it.

By the way, I sure hope you got to get a piece of that cake!

Kathie M. Thomas said...

Will the real Liz please stand up? thank goodness she saw the funny side of it.

Debbie Stevens said...

You're a RIOT, Alice, oh, I mean Liz!

Great tale, one I'm sure will stick for many years to come!!

Debbie Barth said...

Whatever you call yourself, I call you a must to travel with! I can tell from your blog that you love to travel, have fun, and that you are a people person. Oh, and I agree with Bev ... I hope that you got a piece of that cake. As the saying goes, "You can't have your cake and eat it, too" ... sure your can!

Debra Stokes said...

Well, Liz, all this might explain why we haven't been able to get together for lunch!!! Just curious - was Liz a bit younger????

Sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

Pam Archer said...

I wondered where you have been!

My heart skipped a few beats at the beginning of your post...I thought you were pregnant; in which case I think I would be calling you Sarah, and asking you to give my congrats and smelling salts to Abraham! lol

I'm so happy for you to be enjoying this time traveling and having fun. It's good to hear from you again.

Eileen Williams said...

That is one great story! You must be having the greatest time traveling here and there and experiencing so many great adventures. But, when things like this come up, that's the icing on the cake-this time, literally!!!

Parents Rule! said...

To all...no, I did not get a piece of cake. Although they did chastise me for leaving the restaurant early before they could offer me some.
And, yes, the real Liz is my kids' age.
And, Pam, if I were pregnant, this post would have taken on very different, maybe suicidal, tone. Love my kids and having too much fun with grandkids to be a mom again. ha ha