Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Step Out of Your Comfort Zone!

Okay, here I go again--stepping out of my comfort zone. This weekend I am going to have a booth at the Suwanee Festival of Books to promote my two books. It is not natural for me to do this. I start to worry about all kinds of things: what if no one talks to me all day? what if I don't sell one book? what if someone comes by and tells me what a jerk I am? what if this and what if that?

So many times in my life I have been pushed or cajoled out of that comfort space and into a "scary" situation. And you know what? When it was all over, none of the "what if's" happened--or at least the most horrible of them didn't. Each time I learned something about myself that I didn't know--that I was stronger and more capable than I gave myself credit for. Each time when I looked back, I realized that I had enjoyed the experience.

So I guess this will be the same. And part of me is really excited to be there. What I suggest to you is find something in the next month or two that you think is beyond you--hike to the top of a mountain, write a book, learn a new language, take up a new hobby, doesn't matter what it is. Stretch yourself and get away from comfortable. Learn from it.

For me, to stand in a booth and promote my work is much harder than writing. But it is going to be a great event. So if you are in or near Suwnaee, GA August 28-29, come by and see me in booth D2 at the Suwanee Festival of Books. I have a gift for the first person who says they came because of this blog. There will other events, besides me: workshops, storytellers, book characters, educational events, food and much more! It is a free event, so bring the whole family. Hope to see you there.

3 comments:

Beverly Mahone said...

How did it go? I wanted to attend the Decatur Book Festival this weekend but book isn't ready for launch so I had to miss out.

Parents Rule! said...

It went great. Sold some books and met a lot of great people.

Regina said...

Glad you had a positive experience. Whoever got your book I'm sure will have a wonderful read! Congratulations on stepping out of your comfort zone.