Thursday, September 10, 2009

Are Our Kids Worth a Few Green Beans?

Many people … have spent a lifetime eating themselves into their current state of ill-health….In the end you are the one responsible for your own condition.
Dr. Dan Falor (recent guest on Parents Rule! radio show)

Don’t think I am pointing a finger at any of you because from my glass house, I am not the person to be throwing stones. I have done a lot of things, food wise, which are unhealthy. Actually, this struck a cord with me because I am trying to get back into a better nutritional state myself. To my disappointment, I have found that woman does not live on Cokes, hamburgers and pizza alone. This is sad because they certainly taste better than broccoli and brussel sprouts.

It is important that we examine our eating habits and what we are feeding our kids. It may take a little longer to cook a meal than to heat up a hot dog, but our kids are worth it. We all want them to lead full and happy lives, they can only do that if they are healthy. Take the extra time to steam some green beans to go along with that dog if that is what you want that night. Make a salad. Add some fresh fruit.

It's hard when kids have busy schedules and you are rushing home from work to make dinner and/or transport kids here and there. But you can cook ahead. I remember spending a lot of Sundays making meals ahead of a busy week. Then I just heated them up and we had a balanced meal instead of running through a drive-through.

Dr. Dan is right. We are responsible. It is up to us what we put in our bodies and what we have available for our kids to put in theirs. Take responsibility. Do the extra work. Isn’t it worth it for our health and the health of our kids?

4 comments:

Debbie Stevens said...

Couldn't agree with you more!
Having grown up a 'fussy-eater'[much to the concern of my poor mother lol], when I had my 1st baby, I was determined she ate 'well', so attended classes onearly-parenting.
I had a really great lesson thanks to the nurses at local community health centre, and their ideas, simple:
All meat & vegetables that were being prepared for her, were pre-boiled, then using an ice-cube tray, filled each cube with various cooked items,& popped into our freezer.
When her meal-time arrived, I merely popped out the cubes in a pot, warmed, then served....this included rice & lamb, all fresh!
It gave my child an early-start to eating nutritional food,without any fuss!
Think that's the trick, teach them as young as possible!

Pam Archer said...

Excellent commentary. You are right! We are responsible for ensuring that our children and grandchildren learn healthy eating habits, and learn to prefer those foods over the junk we have put in our bodies over the years.

Claudia L. Meydrech, CN said...

You have to know that I agree with this post, will have to find the program and listen to it soon!

Beverly Mahone said...

Pat,

I am so mindful of this fact--that's why I try to find ways to make eating healthy fun with my grandson. Jarod loves asparagus because we've made a game out of it. We both chew our end of the veggie to see who can win eating the whole thing first. He loves the game and I love the idea that he enjoys eating asaparagus. That is one of the advantages of having him with me while his mom is away at college because she HATES asparagus and would never feed it to him or may other vegetables for that matter.