Friday, September 25, 2009

Happy 85th Daddy


Yesterday was my dad's 85th birthday. To live that long is one thing, but to be fully in control of your mind and bladder is miraculous. He is an amazing man and I strive to be more like him. In honor of him, I am posting a poem I wrote for him several years ago. (The photo is my dad and sister from earlier this year.)


NOT COMPLETELY NEW

You taught me your ways
And under your loving gaze,
As a child, every day I grew
Into someone not completely new.

You gave me direction and love,
Taught me to cherish nature and the stars above.
You taught me to be honest and fair,
And about myself and others to care.
Just like you I wanted to be
Giving no thought to being me.

Inevitably I sought independence as a teen
And now I’m somewhere in between.
I am me and I am you,
Someone not completely new.

We can’t always know God’s plan
And some things we never understand.
However, now I know one thing.
When the angels come to sing
And take me to my final rest,
The part of me that is you has been the best.

For I am me and I am you,
Someone, thankfully, not completely new.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

What a blessing to still have your dad around. My dad died at the age of 52 from heart disease. Sadly, he worked so hard all of his life, put up with a lot of crap in the Alabama South and never lived to see the fruits of his hard labor.

Parents Rule! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Parents Rule! said...

I am sorry Bev. I am truly blessed. He is still the person I turn to for advice.