Thursday, February 11, 2010

Want To Be On TV?

Lately I have been watching a show on CMT called World's Strictest Parents. Interesting. For me, it is very thought provoking. If you haven't seen it, here is the skinny: kids with respet issues raised in not strict homes are sent to very strict homes for a week to learn how good they had it at home. Living under different standards from their families back home, the teens are subject to consequences for breaking rules and skipping chores while the strict parents attempt to mend their ways.

It is sad to me that so many kids feel so entitled to everything they have and do not have to work for anything. What happened to doing chores around the house? Has that suddenly become illegal? How do parents expect their kids to go out into the real world and become successful when they don't have a clue how to take care of themselves, let alone a business or a job?

The strict parents on the show are even more strict than I was--insert my kids here who are asking, is that possible? Some of what they expect these lazy, indulged kids to do is out there but is also eye-opening for them. And the funny thing is that the kids develop attachments to the strict parents because everything is tempered with love and sincerity. Children know when you are being fake and when you are really interested in them.

For me, it is a lesson to all parents to teach responsibility and respect to kids: for themselves, for their family, for other people, and for nature.

The best part is that now they are casting for new unruly kids and strict parents for upcoming episodes. If you are interested, you can click on this link: http://www.theworldsstrictestparents.com/

Happy parenting!

2 comments:

Beverly Mahone said...

I just had an experience today with an unruly little boy. I was at the post office and he and his great grandmother were leaving. I opened the door for them and then commented that he should be holding the door for us. He rolled his eyes at me, mumbled something under his breath and puffed his way past. He couldn't have been anymore than 8 or 9. His great-grandmother told me I was right but I had to excuse him because he was having a bad day. A bad day--my ass! (excuse the french) but he was totally disrespectful and his great-grandmother was defending his behavior.

My little three year old grandson begs to open doors with his little self and he does understand it is being nice to others.

Children do feel a sense of entitlement but that's because too many parents have given them too many reasons to feel that way.

Heidi Richards Mooney said...

Great post Pat! And Beverly I couldn't agree more!

Having raised 3 daughters who are/were all very respectful of others especially their elders, I am still stunned by the lack of discipline some children have.

I wonder if the parents are afraid of something like them not loving their parents or something else.

I often told my children I didn't care if they don't like me... but they are darn well going to respect me. It worked because my girls talk about it even today.

Thanks for sharing,

Heidi Richards Mooney - President
Strict Parents Rule Club :)